Saturday, July 08, 2006

Salsa Time Again

Well, you may recall, I got into making salsa last year after tasting some of the salsa that my boss' wife made. Unfortunately, I only have one jar of salsa left from last season. In hopes of growing my own ingredients to make more salsa this year, I planted a mini garden. I had high hopes of getting a permanent garden installed, but never did get around to it. Thus, I planted 6 tomato plants and 6 pepper plants in containers and sat them in my back yard. Well, the tomatoes took off, but now they all have blossom end rot. And the peppers got off to a slow start when blackbirds snapped off all of the blossoms. So, I stopped at a local produce stand and picked up 10 large tomotoes and grabbed some green peppers from the grocery store. For hot peppers, I used some of the dried Habanero and Chili peppers from last season. So, I canned 4 pints of salsa today, at least it's a start. I should have my own peppers to use in another 10 days or so. I've got Anaheim and Jalapeno peppers coming on strong, so they should make a decent batch of salsa. I'll just have to buy more tomatoes from the local sources. I'm pretty much giving up on my tomatoes for the year, and hope to get a permanent garden built this fall. I've also got a bush full of Habanero peppers that should ripen in another 20 days or so. They are so hot, they are almost uneatable, but I still intend to dry them, and perhaps use a couple to make a kick ass batch of salsa that no one will want to eat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home