Sunday, January 01, 2006

How Does Your Garden Grow

We've decided to plant a garden. Last summer, some friends gave me salsa ingredients, and this year, we've decided to grow our own. We've got plenty of space, but we haven't really prepared the ground. Thus, we intend to build a raised bed in the back yard using brick pavers. Ideally, I'd like to start off with a plot about 10' by 15', which should be enough for now. We need enough space to plant tomatoes, various peppers, and of course, we'd like to plant a few other veggies, such as squash, zuchini, cucumbers, and cantaloupe. I've thought a lot about the plot, and how it should be layed out. For now, I've got a plan, at least a preliminary plan, and have also devised a planting schedule. In order to stagger the expected crop of salsa ingredients, I'll plant the seedlings incrementally, which should provide enough separation to allow for 3 individual crops. I'll also need to start the seedlings indoors about 8 to 10 weeks before putting them out in the real garden beginning the first weekend in May. In other words, I may be getting in over my head, but we're going to still try. Ha. Hopefully, if it all works out, we'll at least get a couple of good batches of salsa out of the ordeal, and can then adjust the schedule for next year based on lessons learned this year.

1 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy fresh veggies:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home