Sunday, November 13, 2005

The Hunting Trip Looms

Well, the big hunting trip is scheduled for this week. We leave for the mountains on Tuesday. The only problem, the place where we're going (near Walden, Colorado) is expecting 10 to 20 inches of snow. My father in law wanted some snow to drive the elk off the mountaintop, but now, I'm not even sure we can make it there. To get to Walden, we have to go up and over a 10,000 foot pass. Yikes. With that much snow, the pass might even be closed. I'm not excessively worrying about it, as this is mostly a vacation for me, but I also don't want to get stranded either. So, it will be an interesting week. After the winter storm winds down Tuesday, it should be dry the remainder of the week. I've got my pile of stuff ready to go. I'm taking several magazines to read, a couple of good books, and also am taking my laptop to watch a few DVDs. I also bought some new software to play with, so should have plenty to keep my busy. There won't be any Internet or cell phone access, but that's OK. It will be fun to just get away for awhile. I've got my cold weather gear ready to go, including long johns, and several layers of clothing, wool gloves, coveralls, the whole nine yards. I did buy a new pair of boots, a pair that has some insulation, and also are more waterproof than my old hiking boots. I've also got my daypack ready to go, and re-stocked my first aid kit. Ron has all of the food planned, and I bought a case of bottled water. So, all in all, I think we're ready. I've never really seriously been in the mountains during the wintertime, so it will definitely be a new experience. Until next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home